Safety Advisor Generalist
As a member of the OHS Advisory Services team, the Safety Advisor – Generalist will lead Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC Occupational Health and Safety support programs for member clients: establishing, building, and supporting implementation of safety resources and training programs aligned with the manufacturing safety strategy. The Advisor will contribute to the team through safety coaching and mentorship. Core responsibilities will include safety management program consulting, safety services coaching, and comprehensive worksite-based health and safety assessment. The OHS Safety Advisor will bring the depth of an experienced health and safety services leader, supporting member access to all our safety resources and tools and support services.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Acts as member clients’ key contact for inquiries and delivery of all Manufacturing Safety Alliance health and safety programs, resources, and training
- Delivers information briefings and educational sessions to show the value of health and safety strategies through employee engagement and leadership buy-in
- Provides health and safety consulting services in support of safety management programs, or as needed, conducting member company needs assessments, planning strategy and annual action plans, and supporting implementation
OHS Advisor Team Contribution
- Attends OHS Services meetings and actively participates in providing updates, planning, and contributing to strategies to address issues of workflow, communication, and deliverables
- Provides informed input and feedback about the service and program performance and relevant metrics based on member interactions and feedback
- Completes ongoing professional and safety training as required by the Alliance and professional development as required to perform required job duties
- In collaboration with other teams, develops content, resources and access points for health and safety services delivery
- Develops best-practice programs for the manufacturing industry to support members with ensuring compliance to the regulations and provide adequate controls
- Works with the Training and Resource Development and Marketing teams to support the outreach and education strategies, informing our members and industry contacts of the health and safety and service we offer
Relationships and Key Collaborations
- Reports to the OHS Services Manager
- Collaborates with the Safety Advisors, Training and Resource Development Manager, Marketing team
- External interactions with members, industry contacts, health and safety contacts
Location and Travel
- This role will support regions of BC. As a result, may require a hybrid of home-based/remote and office-based work, subject to public health protocols and member requirements.
- Travel throughout BC to member sites as required.
- Safety support services that engage members to determine baselines. Through review and analysis, creating annual action plans, with key deliverables set by the member and advisor and scheduled follow-ups and review to ensure completion
- Learning/educational event success based on member feedback surveys and follow-on services and inquiries
Who You Are
The ideal candidate will bring the following experience and attributes to the role:
Education and Experience
- A Bachelors degree– BASc Occupational Health and Safety, Health Sciences or similar.
- A Master’s degree level is an asset – MSc Occupational & Environmental Hygiene or another relevant science field
- Strong training in OHS health and safety regulations, policy, and program development, coaching, and mentorship experience preferred. Please indicate specific experience in these areas in your Statement of Interest
- A minimum of five to seven years of experience in OHS advisory or consulting
- A candidate with experience in Occupational Health and Safety or Occupational Hygiene or an equivalent combination of experience and education would be considered
- Experience in diverse manufacturing environments such as food and beverage, wood products processing, or metal fabricating is a strong asset
- Working knowledge of applicable WorkSafeBC and BC OHS Regulations, CSA Standards, and COR or ISO Audit standards and guidelines
- Awareness of organizational dynamics and the issues of safety programs and compliance; understanding how safety issues may impact employee performance and/or conduct at work
- Acts as a resource, coach, and mentor to an inter-professional team, particularly related to workplace health and safety
- Identifies learning needs and uses adult education concepts in planning, designing, and implementing health and safety educational strategies
- Success in a consulting capacity for workplace (client) contacts, their team members and business leadership
- Evidence of strong mentoring, teaching, team building, change leadership, organizational and prioritization skills, with the ability to work well in stressful situations
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and make evidence-based decisions
- A valid BC driver’s license and the ability to travel when necessary
Interested applicants are requested to send a Statement of Interest and resume to the email provided. Please include in the Statement of Interest an overview of skills, training, and experience as it pertains to core accountabilities and experience as described in the posting. Please also indicate current professional commitments.
Why You Should Work Here
At the Alliance, our goal is to make manufacturing safer and ensure that every worker returns home healthy and safe each day.
Based in Chilliwack, we work with more than 3000 manufacturers in British Columbia to reduce injuries in the workplace. We provide occupational health and safety advisory services, resources, and training to manufacturing and food processing businesses across the province.
Equality and inclusion are essential values of the Alliance, and we are committed to building a diverse and talented team. Grow your career with our team of health and safety professionals who are passionate about making a difference for BC workers.
We offer a competitive salary along with a compensation and benefits package that includes vacation, health and dental care, Employee and Family Assistance Program, and contributions towards your retirement.
How To Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume, quoting the Job Title, to:
Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC
Email: [email protected]
We thank all candidates for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates’ education and experience best meets the needs of the position. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.