Workplaces that have hazardous materials, such as chemicals, must comply with regulations regarding WHMIS (workplace hazardous materials information system) to ensure the safe use, handling, storage and disposal of these materials in the workplace.
This program should include:
- Inventory of hazardous materials
- Safety Data Sheets for all hazardous materials
- Hazard identification/risk assessment
- Adequate safe work procedures for use, handling, storage, disposal and labelling of these materials, as well as emergency response procedures
- Training and supervision of all workers who are at risk of exposure to these hazardous materials