Certified OSSE External Auditor
This course is designed to prepare participants to be able to conduct OSSE Large Employer OHS Certification and Re-Certifications.
This course teaches Occupational Safety Standard of Excellence (OSSE) background and basics, pre-audit activities, information gathering and verification methods, and reviews the audit instrument.
The Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC Large Employer Audit Tool is reviewed in detail throughout the program.
NEXT COURSE DATE:
TBD. To register, or for more information, contact us at [email protected].
- CRSP or equivalent Board designation
- Completion of a one-year OHS certificate program from a recognized institution
- Minimum of 3 years full time employment in the OHS field in last 5 years
- OHS experience in the Food Processing and/or Manufacturing Sector would be an advantage
- Strong knowledge of BC OHS legislation and guidelines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Possess excellent IT skills
- Possess a valid BC driving license / legally entitled to drive in BC
Goals and Objectives
The purpose of this training program is to ensure that all participants are competent in using Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC auditing tools to perform an audit and to provide specific training pertaining to the Occupational Safety Standard of Excellence (OSSE) program. At the end of the course participants should be able to:
- Describe the OSSE certification process and its potential benefits
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of an OSSE Large Employer Maintenance Auditor
- Describe the various stages of conducting an audit
- Explain the verification methodology: Documentation (D) review; Observation (O) tour and Interviews (I)
- Explain what is to be audited and how to complete the OSSE audit tools
- Confirm the reporting protocol between the subject company (Employer) and the Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC
- Describe characteristics of auditor professional conduct and quality control
- Develop strategies for managing the OSSE audit process
- Complete and submit a student audit using the Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC OSSE audit tool within 6 months of completing the course
- Overview of the Occupational Safety Standard of Excellence (OSSE) Program
- Responsibilities within the audit process
- Review of the Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC External audit Auditor Code of Conduct and Ethics
- Information Gathering & Verification Methods
- Pre- preparation/activities
- Conducting the opening meeting
- Conducting the familiarization tour
- Reviewing documentation
- Conducting interviews
- Conducting the observation tour
- Holding an effective closing meeting
- Effective audit report writing
- Audit submission and quality assurance review
- Presenting the audit findings
- The Audit Instrument
- Quality control and timelines
- Limited scope audit (Improvement Verification Audit) procedures
- Maintenance of External Auditor Certification
Assessment and Completion:
After successful completion of the five (5) days course, each participant will be required to pass the written assessment (minimum 80%) and to complete and submit a student audit to Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC within six (6) months for review and approval.
Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC will review the student audit and if approved, grant the Certified OSSE External Auditor certification which is valid for 3 years.