Driving and transportation safety
Employers are legally obligated to ensure employees are safe at work, including in any vehicle they drive while on the job. And yet, one-third of traumatic workplace fatalities (2015-19) were due to motor vehicle crashes.
The driving environment is constantly changing. Road, weather, and traffic conditions can often change quickly and dramatically. Safety on the road is a shared responsibility between the employer and the employee.
Driving and transportation safety include:
- Trip preparation - know before you go
- Vehicle inspection and preparation
- Wearing a seatbelt
- Taking a break on longer trips
- Avoiding distractions – including the mobile phone
- Driving for the conditions