Combustible Dust Awareness
This online, introductory course will provide participants with the key principles and concepts for recognizing the hazards, unsafe conditions, and preventive actions associated with combustible dust.
Accurately identifying, assessing, and controlling combustible dust is an essential part of an occupational health and safety (OHS) program. Participants will be better prepared to control combustible dust hazards, develop safe work procedures, and prevent incidents and injuries.
Goals and Objectives
- Identify the properties of combustible dust
- Understand combustible dust in relation to a safety management system
- Learn how to manage dust properties to mitigate workplace hazards
- Demonstrate the use of safety principles and procedures as they apply to combustible dust
- Characteristics of combustible dust
- How and explosion occurs
- When does accumulation become a hazard?
- How to control ignition sources
- Controlling explosion risk
- Controlling dust accumulation
- Explosion protection
- Physical site inspection
- Employers and managers, contractors, and workers working in BC industries where dust is a factor