Slips, Trips and Falls
Slips, trips, and falls in the workplace are a leading cause of lost time claims and have a significant impact on workers and employers. This course focuses on the knowledge and tools needed to minimize incidents due to slips, trips, and falls.
Goals and Objectives
By the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Differentiate between slips and trips and recognize the impact and consequences of slips, trips, and falls on workers and the workplace
- Identify common slip and trip hazards and understand how risk assessment and incident mapping are used as tools to prioritize hazards
- Consider the hierarchy of controls, and root causes, when determining an approach to slip, trip and fall prevention
- Determine how flooring and workplace design influences the risk of slips, trips, and falls and identify the benefits of implementing preventive measures and considering human factors in preventing slips, trips, and falls
- Identify how workplace tasks and practices influences the risk of slips, trips, and falls and recognize the 5S methodology used as a prevention tool
- Identify the benefits of implementing preventive measures relating to footwear, human performance factors, and impairment, and how they influence slips, trips, and falls
- Identify methods of monitoring and evaluating controls as they relate to continuous improvement in slip, trip and fall prevention
- Identify the roles and responsibilities of workers and the employer in preventing slips, trips, and falls in your workplace, and commit to taking an active role in preventing slips, trips, and falls in your workplace
- The impact of slips, trips, and falls
- Identifying slip and trip hazards
- Controlling slip and trip hazards
- Focus areas – the workplace, tasks and practices, and the worker
- Monitoring and evaluating controls
- Your role in preventing incidents
This course is designed for workplace safety influencers:
- JHSC members and/or Worker Health and Safety Representatives
Participants must have access to a laptop/desktop computer or iPad/tablet to attend this training session. A good internet or WIFI connection is essential.
Previous health and safety education and/or experience is an asset but not required.
On completion, participants will be awarded a certificate of Completion.