COVID-19 Safety Plan Review checklist – Help with New BC restrictionsLisa Thibault
Effective November 7, the Provincial Health Officer issued new restrictions for the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley. WorkSafeBC followed November 10, sharing plans to ramp up enhanced COVID-19 inspections and consultations with employers:
To supplement the inspections, WorkSafeBC is also increasing its ongoing consultations with employers about COVID-19 so they can effectively identify and manage COVID-19 exposure risks in the workplace. And new information and resources are being added to the WorkSafeBC website at worksafebc.com.
“Workplace health and safety are essential in protecting workers and keeping businesses open,” says Al Johnson, head of Prevention Services for WorkSafeBC. “Employers need to ensure their COVID-19 plan is effective, that it’s followed to the letter, and that it’s applied to all aspects of the workplace.”
Call the Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC at 1.604.795.9595 for help reviewing your controls: pre-screening protocols, ventilation, and how you can strengthen controls to prevent transmission and keep your doors open.
Review your safety plan with this new checklist:
Notables for BC employers:
All businesses and worksites must:
- Conduct active daily in-person screening of all onsite workers using the COVID-19 symptom checklist that is part of every business restart safety plan.
- Ensure that all workers and customers maintain appropriate physical distance and wear masks when appropriate.
- Take extra care in small office spaces, break rooms, and kitchens.
- From November 7, 2020 at 10 pm to November 23, 2020 at 12 pm, limit travel into and out of the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley to essential travel only.
Despite our best efforts to control transmission, rates are rising as anticipated with the shift into fall and winter. While we recognize the work you have already put into your Safety Plan, it is important to continue to review it as we learn more about the virus and ensure that your staff remains vigilant. Complacency can put our workers at risk and may increase the risk of further lockdowns.
Call the Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC at 1.604.795.9595 for free support and advice. We are on call to help you. Book a call or an online meeting where one of our health and safety advisors can connect with your safety person or committee to look for opportunities to strengthen your COVID-19 Safety Plan.
Keep up to date with the latest COVID-19 information:
- Reviewing and updating your COVID-19 safety plan: A guide for employers. This guide was developed to walk employers through the process of reviewing and updating their COVID-19 Safety Plans, as required by the Nov 7 PHO order to FHA and VCHA employers, and asked of from all employers in the province by Dr. Henry in her press briefings.
- Updated WSBC COVID-19 Safety Plan Template
- 2020 Q4 initiative: Maintaining COVID-19 safety plans
- Controlling Exposure. Information about applying appropriate controls, including considerations in the use of masks.
- Summary of recent changes to WorkSafeBC’s COVID-19 content
Province of BC: