Board Member Profile and Application
The Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC is seeking three new members to join its volunteer Board of Directors for a three-year term beginning May 25, 2023.
Jump to Application Form
About the Role
The Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC recruits passionate and dedicated individuals to volunteer their time to serve on the Board of Directors. We are catalysts for improving workplace health and safety within the BC manufacturing industry. Our leading-edge health and safety programs, services, and training equip companies to make a difference in the lives of their employees – every day.
As the industry-funded, not-for-profit health and safety association for BC manufacturers and food processors, the Alliance provides training and advisory support to more than 3,000 businesses each year. Alliance services help employers build systems to keep workers healthy and safe.
We are seeking senior executive management or Board Director candidates with experience in a combination of these priority areas:
- Experience working in or with one or more of the industries we support:
- acquired in a senior executive management role
- Financial aptitude, education, and skills to perform a fiduciary role
- With knowledge, experience and skills on policy governance and working with provincial regulatory bodies such as WorkSafeBC
- With knowledge of the safety and technical issues that the Alliance addresses; and
- With an understanding of the people involved in the safety system and how they interact with Alliance staff and each other; or
- An individual with a legal background, preferably with experience on other Boards.
Working collaboratively with the CEO, the Board of Directors is responsible for setting the strategic direction and providing fiduciary oversight and accountability for performance in achieving the vision and mission of the organization.
The general responsibilities of a Board Member include:
- Continued commitment to improve health and safety for Alliance member organizations.
- A three-year commitment (renewable for second term)
- Attendance and active engagement at Board meetings (typically every second month)
- Coming prepared, including reading minutes, agenda, and CEO and committee reports, to discuss issues and vote on motions at board meetings
- Being an active participant in the organization’s strategic planning process and review
- Providing input to board committee work in areas of governance, leadership, strategic planning, legal, HR, communications, government, finance, or risk management
- Ensuring the financial health, effective leadership and health and safety compliance of the organization
- Building relationships and networks with stakeholders
- Participating in an annual evaluation process to enhance Board performance
- Supporting efforts to increase profile of the Alliance in the manufacturing industry in BC
- Identifying and disclosing real or perceived conflicts of interest
- Contributing to a collegial environment that works towards consensus; and
- Exhibiting a solutions-focused attitude, collaboration, dedication, and inclusion
Skills and Experience
- Ability to contribute to setting strategic direction and determining long terms goals for MSABC;
- Experience monitoring and/or improving organizational performance;
- Demonstrated ability to assess, manage, and mitigate risk;
- Strategic thinker that brings analytical skills to decision making;
- Connections to business and community through personal and/or professional networks;
- Passion, energy, optimism, leadership, team-oriented, outcome focused, and insight;
- Previous Board experience an asset, but not mandatory
If you share our passion for partnering to ensure BC workers go home safe and well to their families and our vision for supporting a sustainable manufacturing sector through ethical people practices, we want to hear from you.
To express interest, please apply online (below) before 5 PM on March 6, 2023.