Information for employees about COVID-19 in the workplace.
For workers self-isolating at home, the BC Centre for Disease Control recommends this protocol for home sterilization for someone self-isolating at home:
- Clean and disinfect common areas and all surfaces in the room(s) where you are staying. Regular cleaning products are fine for this.
- Disinfect (kill germs) by mixing 1 part bleach with 9 parts water (1/3 cup bleach per gallon of water) and applying it to areas that are touched often such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and bedside tables.
It is especially important to use bleach to disinfect if you are sharing any common areas (such as a bathroom) with others or if others will be entering the room(s) where you are staying.
Follow manufacturer's instructions for proper ventilation.
- Bleach + Ammonia (this generates a toxic gas called Chloramine, causing chest pain and shortness of breath)
- Bleach + Vinegar (this generates toxic Chlorine gas, causing breathing difficulty and burning, watery eyes)
- Bleach + Rubbing Alcohol (this generates toxic Chloroform, causing eye irritation and dizziness)
- Hydrogen Peroxide + Vinegar (this generates corrosive Peracetic Acid, known to irritate the eyes, skin, and respiratory tract)
If someone in your home is infected with COVID-19, follow this in-depth cleaning protocol from the Centre for Disease Control in your home.